Catherine Milos, Author | Editor | Consultant
Welcome! I am a professional Canadian editor, alpha/beta reader, author, writing coach, and consultant with over ten (10) years of experience working with clients from around the world. I want to bring magic to authors’ works through collaboration.
I specialize in developmental and structural editing of speculative and literary fiction. My ideal books explore the paranormal, magic, witches, mermaids, diversity, emotional depth, death, mythology, animals, strong characters, and nature. I also enjoy books with scientific themes, fairy tale rewrites, villains, and unique stories. I prefer adult and young adult fiction but do edit middle grade and children’s fiction.
My goals are to guide you to produce the best possible work while helping you hone your skills and recognize common errors.
I rely on my experience and style manuals to customize services in US, UK, AUS, and CAD English.
What I can do:
- Offer direction on story and character creation and development, structure, punctuation, grammar, and spelling, your writing style, resources, categorization and audience, and the publishing and writing processes.
- Help you create the best book you possibly can.
- Revise and rewrite content (including ghostwriting).
- Work with a manuscript at any stage, even the outlining stage.
- Collaborate with you, your agent, your publisher, or your publishing team. I can also help you form your team if you’re a self-published author.
- Edit fiction, creative non-fiction, short stories, poetry.
- Edit works with sex, profanity, or difficult or dark themes on a case-by-case basis.
- Refuse any work that I don’t believe fits my interests or skills.
What I can’t do:
- I do not edit horrific and erotica or pornographic stories, stories that promote child abuse and sexualization, stories that promote animal abuse or any criminal activity, stories that promote discrimination. I no longer edit academic level works.
- I can’t make a magic potion or spell that will turn your book into a best seller or make you a master writer. That comes with hard work, resources and planning, time, and a bit of luck.
- Get you published with a publisher, get you an agent, or get you a movie deal. I can help you query, and I can collaborate with your current agent and publisher, though.
- Turn book publishing into a get rich quick scheme. It isn’t.
- I can’t wave a magic wand and get you readers. True readers come with time and marketing and are worth more than those you buy. Anything worth having doesn’t have a short-cut.
I am a member in the Saskatchewan Writers Guild, Editors Canada, and a Developing Publisher with SaskBooks.
Follow me: Editors Canada | Catherinemilos.com | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook | Whiskersreads.com | Instagram
Nicole Martin, Beta Reader (CURRENTLY NOT TAKING SUBMISSIONS)
Nicole Martin has a bachelor degree in psychology and loves reading. She is interested in non-fiction and fiction.
She loves sci-fi and fantasy, especially ones with happy endings and animals. She does not care for horror or true crime, but does like dystopian and post-dystopian subject matter.
She is also an avid PC gamer and enjoys making home-brewed mead. She has been a beta-reader and consultant for fiction books, and even inspired a character for a best-selling author’s novels.
Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org now to discuss your project.
Brett Milos, Artist and Beta Reader
Brett Milos is an artist, beta reader, and aspiring sound technician. She loves fiction stories with dragons, LGBTQ+ and diversity, artistic stories, and stories for adult and young adult audiences. Creative non-fiction stories that feature unique voices interest her too.
She loves BTS and Korean pop, the Overcooked games, board games, and reading books while lying on the grass.
John Jeng, Beta Reader
John Jeng graduated with a B.A. in English Literature from the University of California San Diego and an M.A. in Teaching from the University of Southern California. His hobbies are studying Japanese and Chinese, climbing mountains (the highest so far being Mt. Fuji), and exploring urban spaces. He lives in San Jose, CA.
Will read: Short stories, novellas, novels (literary fiction, contemporary YA, adult), non-fiction books, articles, and blogs
Won’t read: Sci-fi, romance, erotica, or high fantasy
Jesse Savage, Editor | Beta Reader
Jesse Savage is a professional editor and beta reader specializing in fiction. She enjoys reading and editing drama, fantasy, and romance, as well as horror and erotica, but leans away from editing hyper-religious themes and non-fiction.
Jesse’s ideal client is someone who is willing to remain open to their editor’s suggestions, and who is able to have a dialogue about the development of their book.
With a background in both Publishing and Communications, Jesse’s goal when editing is to communicate with the author ways in which the story can be the best it can be so that both author and reader are satisfied at the end.
In her spare time, Jesse enjoys hiking with her dog, cooking for friends and family, and doing a variety of arts and crafts.
Jesse is available for beta reading, copy editing, proofreading, fact-checking, and developmental, structural, and stylistic editing.
Ellen Michelle, Editor
Ellen Michelle is a professional editor who specializes in speculative fiction: science fiction, fantasy, crime, mystery, and horror.
She loves anything that breaks the conventions of genre and works that can be classified as cross-genre.
Ellen is passionate about promoting Canadian authors and small publishers, and often writes reviews of Canadian works on her blog Scribbles, Quibbles, and Scrawlings.