My team and I will bring a unique perspective to your book, be it fiction or non-fiction. We will consider key concepts and mechanics other readers might not think of. Each of the professionals I work with bring dedicated and unique perspectives and experience. When you work with my team or me, you get passionate and effective feedback from industry professionals.
Conventional and self-published authors don’t live in solitude to create a book. Turning a manuscript into a book requires a team. It’s important you get the best fit for your team so your work is the best it can be. Part of that team includes alpha and beta readers. Having a mix of readers, including those within your target audience, will ensure plot holes, character development issues, audience expectations and experience, and readability (level, flow/pacing) are all considered before your book gets published. Both conventional and self-published authors use alpha and beta readers.
Alpha Readers offer a reader’s perspective after an initial draft. The manuscript often has not been edited. It’s not uncommon for an alpha to read before the author edits the first draft.
Beta Readers offer a reader’s perspective for an edited manuscript shortly due for publication.
In addition to reader expectations and experience, we may consider any or all of the following and more when reading your work:
- Reading level
- Mechanics (punctuation, spelling, dictionary (US, UK, CAD, AUS), capitalization, syntax)
- Social/political implications
- Plot cohesion
- Pacing and flow
- Interest Level/Marketability
- Logical and Factual consistence
- Reader buy-in and belief (such as cohesive physics and magic, likeliness of actions of characters and outcomes of plot)
- Points in the story that stop the reader
- Points in the story that compel the reader to continue reading
- Themes, motifs
- Messages in the story
- Your goals for the manuscript
- Similar books already published in your genre
- Placement and appeal of graphics / art using principles of design
Message me directly Include synopsis, word count, deadline, genre, one chapter sample, audience, type of editing or reading you want (if you know) and any other information that you wish to share which will help to assess your manuscripts needs. All services are customized to meet the needs of the author and the work.
TEAM ALPHA/BETA READING PROMOTIONS
Please note that joint services are between independent contractors and the author/owner. Each independent contractor may have different pricing, terms/contracts, and services beyond the below promotions. Please contact the independent contractor(s) directly to discuss additional services.
JOINT BETA/ALPHA READ for manuscript up to 90,000 words $120 CAD Catherine and Jesse Savage